Monday 3 August 2015

Spring and Summer Bugs, Flowers and All Things Natural

I have not had much time at all to blog recently, as I have been out and about so much! I have just found this post which I started in Spring and it is now August - where has all that time gone?

I have however found some interesting things that I would like to share. In a hedgerow near to home I found some White Campion, which I have never found in this area before. Red Campion is abundant so I was really surprised to see the white variety. However I also found a really interesting hybrid red and white flower! Quite cool I thought!

White Campion with Red Campion
The red and white campion cross variety!
A May Bug, also known as the Cockchafer, found by my sister on her doorstep and I have also found a few of these where I work. The may bug is a lovely big bug but some people mistake them for cockroaches and kill them. Please don't - they are harmless!

Cockchafer, Melolontha Melolontha

Another interesting find was this insect skin/casing. I found it on a riverbank and it looks as if this was a nymph or a larval stage of something and it has shed its skin and possibly flown or scuttled away!
Unknown insect casing
Maybe not that rare, but something I have not seen before close to my home was a woodland brown butterfly. Since this sighting I have seen them in abundance!


Woodland Brown Butterfly

An interesting moth find by a friend in her garden - An Elephant Hawk Moth - how envious am I?!

Elephant Hawk Moth, Deilephila elpenor
A few moths found at work - yet to be identified and I will update this post when I do. The coolest thing about these guys is how they are so well camouflaged against their background - very clever!


Cleverly camouflaged moth



And then today when I was out walking at lunchtime I came across one of my favourite insects - this awesome toad and a dragonfly....




I have found all sorts of interesting things this summer so watch this space and hopefully I will get more time to blog and play catch up. In the meantime get out there and see what you can find before the summer is gone! Enjoy.....

No comments:

Post a Comment